Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My CNY 2010

Sorry for the lack of posts. As you all know, CNY ended officially yesterday and for a home maker, CNY is absolutely the busiest period of our job. We clean, cook, wash and play MJ like 5X more than usual. So now after CNY and a few days of good rest, Im ready to blog again. :)

So this was how I spent my CNY 2010. My last CNY in France...

My hectic week begins 1 week before CNY. Or to be precise, 3 days before CNY...


11 Feb, Thursday.
Started spring cleaning. Threw away all unwanted magazines, faulty items, forgotten and expired food in the cabinets and stuffs I think I wouldn't want to eat/touch/use again. Dusted, vacuumed and  moped every corner of the house. Cleaned kitchen cabinets, kitchen walls, shelves, TV console with wet wipes.

12 Feb, Friday
Baked some almond cookies for CNY in the afternoon and went for the CNY dinner with hubb. I would have loads of photos of the dinner but alas I had a real bad breakout on my face and I forgot to insert my memory card into the camera. So, no photos. I did take a few though, that was saved direct into my camera memory but Im too lazy to go dig out the transfer cable right now plus I looked hideous that day so Im not gonna post my ugly pics here.


my almond cookies... melt in your mouth, not in your hands... so good i will at least have 3 once i start eating...



13 Feb, Saturday, CNY eve
This has to be the busiest busiest day of all chinese housewives. Hubb has to go out so I'm left home alone to prepare the stuffs. Reunion dinner was at An's place and we were having steamboat. I will settle all frozen stuffs and An will settle the fresh meat section. Thank god for her else I think I would never be able to cope. I wonder how mum managed to do it all the past years. So anyway, work begings at 1pm.

First, thaw all frozen stuffs in the freezer.
Changed bedsheets.
Marinate and prepare minced meat for wanton.
Clean chicken and start cooking steamboat broth
Baked another batch of almond cookies
Wrapped the wantons
Clean prawns and cut off all whiskers and sharp ends (on the tail and head)
Vacuumed and mopped house again
Cleaned toilet.
Cleaned washing basing and scrub bathtub
Check that all food is thawed
Lay food nicely in trays and plates.


wantons all wrapped up n ready to be thrown into the steamboat... :)

By this time An called to ask if I needed any help and came up to help me bring the food down to her place.
We started dinner at around 8, and this year round, although we reduced the quantity of food, we had too much food again.
At 9+ Su and her hubb dropped by An's place and we had MJ all the way till first day of CNY.



14 Feb, Sunday, CNY day 1 n Valentines day
Woke up late but still managed to video call mummy and wished them all a happy CNY. Saw my Valentine surprise on the dining table. :) Had dinner at our favourite seafood buffet restaurant, followed by more rounds of MJ.

my surprise... flowers n a big brown paperbag... loves!!


15 Feb, Monday, CNY day 2
Had a potluck lunch gathering at E's place. Woke up early at 10 to make ngor hiang for the gathering and glad that most of them enjoyed my ngor hiang.


Ngor hiang... Hubbs helped with the frying and cutting. But when he does the cutting, there are always missing pieces... hahaha

Thereafter, hubb and I went to get my spoiled boots exchanged. Story goes like this: about 2 months ago, before we went for our winter holiday, hubb bought me a pair of boots. And barely a month after wearing it, the zipper of the boots spoiled. I was very upset cos the boots are not exactly cheap. So, hubb called the store and they asked us to bring the boots down for them to check. But we can only do so on weekdays. Hence, we didn't have a chance to go to the shoe store till another month later, on 2nd day of CNY. It has already been 2 months since we bought the boots and we were half expecting them to tell us that its been too long for them do anything but to our surprise, the lady just checked the zipper, and told us that we can go choose any pair of shoes that matches the price of our damaged one!! I was so happy!! And to make it even better, the sales were still on so in the end, I gotten a new pair of boots that was originally cost 2X more than my spoiled pair, but it was on 50% off. Damn happy!! Ended the night happily with more MJ.



20 Feb, Sunday, CNY day 8

Invited An and her hubb over for dinner to celebrate "ren ri" together (I miscalculated). Cooked roast chicken (ang mo style, am going to try the chinese style roast chicken some day), fish maw soup, cereal prawn and steamed fish. An made some yummy yam ngor hiang and burbur chacha. We ended the meal over eating again as usual and played big 2.



24 Feb. Wed, CNY day 11

Was also hubb's birthday. At his request, cooked all of his favorite dishes for him which includes chilli crab, char siew and kailan. We over ate again and were so full that we didnt even managed to eat the 寿桃 that we initially planned to have for dessert.

Chilli crabs that were a tad too spicy and not sweet enough because I used sambal olek chilli sauce. Will try again using other type of chilli sauce. Should have better results.


28 Feb, Sun, Last day of CNY
The day to eat 汤圆. Invited Sam over for dinner. Cooked charsiew (again cos its hubb's favorite), braised duck (1st try but didnt turn out very well. Not flavourful enough for me) and chyesim. Ended the dinner with 汤圆 as dessert.


charsiew!! hubbs favorite!!


**

And there you go, thats my year of tiger this year, with loads of cooking, loads of cleaning and scrubbing (of dishes and kitchen floors especially) and loads of MJ. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I always forgot to take pictures of the food I cooked. By the time I remembered, they are already half gone in our stomaches. :)

3 comments:

werwer said...

I'm drooling when I look at all your photos!!!! Faster come back and cook the crabs for me !!!!!

Evil-Lin said...

Looks yummy!!! Counting down the days that I will see you again sis!!!

<*ANGEL*> said...

you are amazing.. i salute you!:)